US Warns of Further Nigerian Strikes as Nigeria's Capital Talks of 'Collaborative Continuing Missions'.
The American defense secretary, Pete Hegseth, has indicated new strikes against ISIS targets in northwest Nigeria. This comes a short time after U.S. military forces launched strikes against militant camps. The former president Donald Trump has described these actions as part of a mission to halt the slaughter of Christians.
âThe president was explicit last month: the killing of defenseless Christians in Nigeria has to stop,â the defense secretary posted on a social platform. âThe Department of Defense is constantly prepared, so ISIS discovered tonight â on Christmas. More to come ⊠Thankful for Abuja's backing and collaboration. Merry Christmas!â
The Nigerian Foreign Minister Frames Actions as Collaborative Operation
Nigeriaâs top diplomat, Yusuf Tuggar, stated on Friday that the American military actions were âpart of joint continuing operations.â This statement came after Trump had previously accused Nigeriaâs government of failing to prevent Christians from being killed.
Nigeria is constitutionally a secular state with a population nearly divided between Muslims and Christians. Violence against Christians has drawn attention from conservative groups in the United States, who frame it as sectarian targeting. The government in Abuja have pointed out that militants attack both Christians and Muslims.
Intelligence and Coordination Preceding the Airstrikes
Nigeria provided the intelligence for the strikes in Sokoto state, Tuggar told a local broadcaster. He detailed that he had consulted with his U.S. counterpart, then called the Nigerian president for approval, and subsequently conferred with the American official again.
âWe have been collaborating extensively with the Americans,â Tuggar stated. âThis is what weâve always been hoping for, to work with the Americans, to cooperate with other countries, to fight terrorism, to stop the killing of blameless Nigerians ⊠Itâs a joint effort.â
The U.S. militaryâs Africom said the operations in Sokoto state had been carried out in concert with local officials.
Context of Violence in North-West Nigeria
Forests in Sokoto state, which is adjacent to Niger, have been used as bases by gangs of armed bandits and members of Islamic State â Sahel Province. Some analysts say this IS branch originated when herders banded together to fight bandits due to a absence of state support. The region is predominantly Muslim.
Clashes between pastoralists and mostly Christian farming communities have been aggravated by communal and sectarian factors, but their roots lie in disputes for resources.
- Clergy and pastors have been increasingly kidnapped for ransom, though some experts say this may be driven more by criminal incentives than sectarian hatred.
- A December 24th suicide bombing at a mosque in north-east Nigeria killed at least five people and injured dozens more, in a distinct insurgency largely unrelated to the violence in the north-west.
Continuing Violence and Statistics
There have been numerous events of violence in Nigeria this year, with about half of them targeting civilians, according to research data. States like Katsina and Sokoto have been among the hardest-hit regions.
Tuggar emphasized that the mission was about âprotecting Nigerians and innocent lives,â not a single faith. âIt is a joint operation,â he said. âIt is not targeting any religion.â
Wider U.S. Foreign Posture
This action occurs amid a broader pattern of American activity overseas during this administration. Despite campaigning as a âchampion of peaceâ who promised to extricate the U.S. from âforeign quagmires,â the first year of this term has seen strikes in multiple countries and a major military buildup in another region.
No official from the U.S. nor Nigerian authorities have revealed if there were any fatalities in the recent airstrikes. When questioned if more would follow, Tuggar responded: âYou can call it a fresh chapter of an long-standing struggle. For us it is something that is ongoing.â